Classic Mushroom Risotto – with a Barolo d’Asti
Course three from A Taste of Italy at Kitchen Wizards, are you ready, palate sufficiently watering? I sniffed the air as Chef Herve melted the butter just right, added the risotto until it “popped” and then was served:
(Can use chicken or vegetable stock)
1 lb. crimini mushrooms
¼ cup olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 ½ cup Arborio rice
4 ½ cups chicken stock
4 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup shredded parmesan
1-2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
• In sauce pot simmer chicken stock and porcini mushrooms.
• In large skillet heat 2 Tbsp. of oil, add shallots and chopped mushrooms.
• Cook until all liquid has evaporated. (can take up to 10 minutes, stirring so you do not burn them) Set aside.
• Heat large, deep sided, pan and add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and rice. Stir to coat rice with oil. (30 seconds.)
• Add ½ cup infused chicken stock and reduce heat to medium-low. Stirring constantly until stock is absorbed.
• Keep adding more stock slowly and only when previous liquid has absorbed.
• When all stock has been added rice should be tender, if not add a little warm water bit by bit until rice is tender yet firm.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Fold in mushrooms
• Fold in Cheese
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve in bowls.