Chef Lance Cowart: Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake with Bourbon Glaze
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
9 large eggs, separated
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/4 cup bourbon
2 cups chopped pecans, divided, plus more for garnish
For the glaze
2 cups powdered
2 Tablespoons bourbon
7 Tablespoons heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10-12 cup bundt pan with baking spray.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium high speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg yolks and beat until well incorporated.
4. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, the butter flavoring, and the bourbon.
5. Mix in the flour a half cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
6. In a separate, medium metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
7. Fold half a cup of egg whites into the batter to lighten. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites until well incorporated.
8. Stir in 1 cup of the pecans.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 a cup of the pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan. Pour the batter over the pecans and smooth out with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans evenly over the batter.
10. Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
11. Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
12. Make the glaze: stir powdered sugar, bourbon, and cream together until well incorporated.
13. Pour glaze over the top of the cake allowing it to fall down the sides. Sprinkle a bit more of the pecans on top of the glaze. Let stand 10 minutes or until set.
14. Slice, serve, and enjoy!!