- 2 large bunches fresh basil (about 4 cups loosely packed leaves.) One of those plastic packages Ralph’s sells was perfect.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves (I used five, heck, I’m Italian, gotta have more garlic all the time!)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini (I bought frozen as the Italian deli near me sells it that way.)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Puree first 5 ingredients in processor until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper – I didn’t add any salt until it was on my plate. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to small bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of pesto to seal. Cover; chill.)
Combine tortellini, chicken and 1 cup pesto in heavy large skillet (I used my pasta pan) over medium heat. Toss until mixture is heated through, adding reserved cooking water and additional pesto by tablespoonfuls until sauce coats pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Pass additional Parmesan.
Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.