I attended a planning meeting with Circle of Hope board of directors and staff this week, all to discuss the upcoming 2014 Vine 2 Wine Classic that Eve’s Wine 101 Consulting is helping to get the word out on. This is what I learned:
- The 13th annual event will once again be held at California Institute of the Arts 24700 McBean Parkway, Santa Clarita, 91355. The night of Saturday August 16 is reserved for us from 6 until 10:30 p.m.
- Tickets, $75 in advance and $95 at the door, will be replaced with coded wristbands. Your colorful wristband will arrive in the mail or you can choose to attend their first ever “pick-up party” from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on 8/7/14 at the Circle of Hope offices located at 23560 Lyons Ave., #224, Newhall, 91321. (If you haven’t visited their offices this is a great time to learn more about their mission and maybe even join the “inner circle.”) All of this was thought out to keep people from having to wait to check in – and instead get inside for the fun! (There will still be a “will call” table at the door for last minute purchases.)
- Last year every guest left with a bottle of the Pisoni family’s Lucy wine. Yep, we’re getting that again! “Lucy Rosé was born in 2003 when winemaker Jeff Pisoni made only two barrels. Shortly after, the Pisonis decided they should make more and donate a percentage of the sales to the fight against breast cancer. The association of pink Rosé wine with the pink ribbon representing breast-cancer awareness seemed like a perfect match.”
- There will be plenty of domestic wine, craft beer, local restaurant fare and live musical entertainment. However, if there is a winery you want at the event, “tag” them on Circle of Hope’s Facebook page and they will be contacted. (They can also just send us a case of wine and Circle of Hope will provide volunteer pourers.)
- If you haven’t read it yet, know now that Shannon and Simon Mee, local owners of the Egg Plantation and Newhall Refinery, are providing over 60 craft beers – which will be most welcome to those of us leaving the SCV heat behind for Cal Arts that night.
- Those interested in volunteering can do it pretty easy, just sign up for your shift here via Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/irSk9e. Also new this year is a Volunteer Appreciation Night planned on August 15, the night before the big event. Volunteers will be invited to taste some exquisite wines and food one day ahead! They pick up their volunteer wristbands at the same time and don’t need to check in again at the event!
- Want to buy wine at the event? Any wine poured by Southern Wine and Spirits can be purchased and picked up at Wine 661 after the event.
- Virtual Tickets are also available if you are not able to attend. Your complimentary logo wine glass, along with your Lucy Rosé, will be available for pick up at the Circle of Hope office after the event.
- Sponsorships, like having your own wine table to share your materials while we provide the wine, can be found here at the bottom of this page, among other sponsorship opportunities: http://www.circleofhopeinc.org/events/vine2wineclassic/sponsors
Proceeds from this event will go to further Circle of Hope’s mission in providing education and support services for uninsured and underinsured individuals with breast cancer, as well as ovarian, cervical, uterine, colon, testicular, prostate and childhood cancers. This mission extends to patients families and the community. As always, 100% of the proceeds remain in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Eve Bushman has been reading, writing, taking coursework and tasting wine for over 20 years. She has obtained a Level Two Intermediate Certification from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust, has been the subject of a 60-minute Wine Immersion video, authored “Wine Etiquette for Everyone” and recently served as a guest judge for the L.A. International Wine Competition. You can email Eve@EveWine101.com to ask a question about wine or spirits that may be answered in a future column.