Las Vegas, Nev. – The inaugural 2018 Global Wine Awards was hosted June 18- 20 at the Tropicana Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The competition featured nine world class judges with a panel of the finest palates including, Master Sommeliers, Masters of Wine, wine educators and industry experts.
The 3-day judging process for the diverse and specific wine categories began with a 100% blind tasting preliminary round, with the best wines advancing to the Sweepstakes Rounds, where the Double Gold and The Best of Show Categories were awarded.
Featured Award Winning Wines: ( For a complete list of all the Gold, Silver and Bronze winners, visit GlobalWineAwards.co/)
• Overall Best in Show and Best in Show, Red Wine:
o Martellotto Wine Productions, 2016 Il Cappocia Riserva (Barrel Aged)
• The Best in Show, White Wine:
o Frank Family Vineyards, Late Harvest Chardonnay
“Our expert judges are pleased to announce the 2018 Global Wine Awards winners who all represent excellence in winemaking skills and superior presentation from all around the world. The wines were judged based on varietal expression, uniqueness in character and approachability” said Eddie Rivkin, CEO/Executive Director of Global Wine Awards. “Las Vegas is an entertainment destination known globally for its vibrant wine culture, its fine-dining restaurants and celebrity chefs. It was the perfect paring to our first annual event.” he said.
Double Gold Winners (Listed by: Winery, Wine Name, Wine Type, Vintage, Score):
- Martellotto Wine Productions, Martellotto, Il Capoccia Riserva, 2016, 97
- Frank Family Vineyards, Frank Family Vineyards, Late Harvest Chardonnay, NV, 97
- Wines Of Greece, VOURVOUKELI ESTATE MALAGOUZIA, Malagouzia, 2017, 97
- 2Hawk Vineyard & Winery, 2Hawk Winery, Viognier, 2016, 96
- Penrose Hill, Cantharos, Grenache, 2014, 96
- Cellardoor Winery, Cellardoor Winery, Petite Sirah, 2013, 96
- Wines of Greece, HELEXO WINERY RETSINA White, RETSINA white, 2016, 96The prestigious judges, encompassing years of expertise, passion and credibility in the wine industry, featured: Deborah Parker Wong, Global Wine Chairwoman and Editor for SOMM Journal and The Tasting; David Glancy, Master Sommelier & CWE, Founder & CEO of San Francisco Wine School, the largest wine school in the USA; Cameron Sisk, Master Sommelier, with thirty-five years in restaurants; Cassandra M. Brown, Certified Sommelier from the Court of Master Sommeliers, and Certified Specialist of Wine from the Society of Wine Educators; Stacie Hunt, Certified Silver Pin Sommelier /North American Sommelier Association and Vice President of the Board of the National Association of Wine Retailers; Paul R. Ellis, Sommelier at Rao’s, Caesars Palace; Eve Bushman, Level Two Intermediate Certification from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), a “certification in first globally-recognized course” as an American Wine Specialist ® from the North American Sommelier Association (NASA); Roger Bohmrich, Master of Wine, independent consultant, writer, and educator; and Dänny Ronen, educator in spirit and cocktail development.
During the awards competition, all the wines, in their respective and specific sub-categories, were sampled together as flights, carefully evaluated in all aspects, and scored by each one of the skilled judges. All winners received industry acknowledgment and a distinguished medal of recognition.
The scoring ranges are: Bronze – 80-84
Silver – 85-89
Gold – 90-95
Double Gold – 96-100
About Global Wine Awards & Global Spirits Awards
Eddie Rivkin CEO/Executive Director of Global Wine Awards and Global Spirits Awards hosts the events from the entertainment capital of the world, Las Vegas, Nevada. For more information and a complete list of judges bios, photos and winners, visit the website at www.GlobalWineAwards.co. Follow on Instagram at Globalwineawardslv.