It was a beautiful day – a sold out day – for Masters of Taste 2019. We love the event, as it’s the only one on the field of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, with fabulous wineries, mixologists, sweet makers and all that FOOD. If that doesn’t tickle your fancy this year we had Chef Michael Hung as the event’s first-time Host Chef. And of course, the money raised goes to charity: Union Station Homeless Services, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Links to all of the participants are below. These are some of my favorites:
Nosotros barrel aged tequila, Dulce Vida grapefruit, lime and pineapple flavors, Pomp and Whimsy Gin Liqueur in its new golden hue, the chefs at Mrs. Fish that used chopsticks to drop samples into the waiting mouths for some of their guests, Celestino pastas, Wild Roots spirits had some fun “northwest fruit infused” vodkas, My/Mo Mochi green tea flavor, the new Hurricane in a convenient box from buzzbox premium cocktails, The Raymond 1886 cocktails made with Woodford Reserve Bourbon, flavorful Mediterranean food from Spire Works, Akagisan sake, pesto pasta from Prince of Venice, cocktails made with Ki No Bi Dry Gin from the Kyoto Distillery, Kass lemon meringue, all of the tonics by East Imperial, ZYR Russian vodka, the Mignon chocolate fountain, Matcha Matcha green tea rice crispy treats, the plain straight bourbon from American Born, Granville mac and cheese, cocktails from Magnolia House, Lark Cake Shop chocolate cake and everything from Ascension Cellars and Golden Star Vineyards.
Masters of Taste 2019 participating Culinary Masters and Restaurants included:
- Faith & Flower 2019 Masters of Taste Host Chef Michael Hung (Los Angeles)
- 1212 Santa Monica Chef Hiro Fujita (Santa Monica)
- Alexander’s Steakhouse Chef Florent Courriol (Pasadena)
- Ayara Thai Chef Vanda Asapahu (Westchester)
- Bacchus Kitchen and Claude & Co. Chef Claud Beltran (Pasadena)
- Bistro Mon Cheri Chef Kimmy Tang (Pasadena)
- Bone Kettle Chef Erwin Tjahyadi (Pasadena)
- Celestino Ristorante Chef Calogero Drago (Pasadena)
- Cento Pasta Bar Chef Avner Lavi (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Eagle Rock Brewery Public House Chef Jerry Su (Eagle Rock)
- Eat @ Rollin’ Joe’s Chef Mark Salazar (Los Angeles)
- Gus’s Barbecue Chef Mike Stern (South Pasadena, Claremont)
- Gus’s Fried Chicken (Burbank, Long Beach, Los Angeles)
- HATCH Yakitori + Bar Chef Daniel Shemtob (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Jackfruit Café Chef Angela Means (Los Angeles)
- KASS Wine Bar + Kitchen Chef Christophe Émé (Los Angeles)
- Kitchen for Exploring Foods (Pasadena)
- La Bohéme Chef Atsushi Kenjo (Los Angeles)
- Lunasia Dim Sum House (Alhambra)
- Maestro Chef Elena Vargas (Pasadena)
- Maple at Descanso Gardens Chef Philip Mack (La Cañada Flintridge)
- Mercado Chef Jose Acevedo (Hollywood, Los Angeles, Pasadena, Santa Monica)
- Momed Chef Alex Sarkissian (Beverly Hills and Atwater Village)
- Mrs. Fish Chef Yoshi Matsumoto (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Namaste Spiceland Harsh Malik (Pasadena)
- Packing House Wines Restaurant & Wine Shop Chef Eric Rowse (Claremont)
- Patina Chef Andreas Roller (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Pez Cantina Chef Bret Thompson (Downtown, Los Angeles)
- Preux & Proper Chef Sammy Monsour (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Prince of Venice Chef Generoso Celentano (Los Angeles)
- Ramen Tatsunoya Chef Ryuta Kajiwara (Pasadena, Silverlake)
- Rappahannock Oyster Bar Chef Wilson Santos (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Salazar Chef Jonathan Aviles (Los Angeles)
- SpireWorks Chef Mustafa Otar (Westwood, Eagle Rock, Westlake Village, Upland)
- Sticky Rice Chef Dave Tewasart (Downtown Los Angeles, Echo Park)
- Sumo Dog Chef Jefrrey Lunak (Santa Monica)
- Sweet Greek Chef Christina Xenos (Los Angeles)
- The Arbour Chef Ian Gresik (Pasadena)
- The Pizza Plant Chef Rachael Carr (Pasadena)
- The Raymond 1886 Chef Jon Hung (Pasadena)
- Wax Paper and Lingua Franca Chef Peter Lemos (Frogtown, Los Angeles)
- We Olive Ervin Galvan (Pasadena)
- Wolfgang Puck Experience (Los Angeles)
- World Empanadas Chef Matthew Hirtz (Burbank)
Sweet Masters: A select group of Los Angeles Top Sweet Masters will showcase an assortment of delectable desserts such as the deliciously scrumptious scratch baked custom cakes and cupcakes from Fantasy Frostings, Lark Cake Shop and Lady M., Chocolatier Mignon Chocolate, My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream, Nomad Ice Pops, homemade premium sorbets from Pop’s Artisinal Creamery, Porto’s Bakery, SuperCool Creamery, THE Bakery Truck and more.
Beverage Masters Included
Brewmasters: Beverage Masters who specialize in barley and hops will be presenting top-notch ales, lagers, pilsners and more for guests to sample, sip and savor all throughout the event, including Southern California favorites Indie Brewing Company, Iron triangle Brewing, Los Angeles Ale Works, Lincoln Beer Company, MacLeod Ale Brewing Co., Arcadia’s first Microbrewery Mt. Lowe Brewing Co., San Fernando Brewing Co. and State Brewing Co..
Wineries: A specially curated collection of Wine Masters will be showcasing their finest varietals including premium boutique winery Ascension Cellars, CRŪ Winery, Frisco Cellars, Golden Star Vineyards & Winery, Hitching Post Winery, Kieu Hoang Winery, Anderson Valley’s Navarro Vineyards, San Simeon Wines, Vinemark Cellars, Wrath Wines and more.
Bars and Spirits: Some of L.A.’s top bartenders and cocktail bars will be creating first-rate craft cocktails, including Cameron Masden of The Raymond 1886, Ned Kirby of Magnolia House, and Katie Putterlik of Otoño. Top brands showcasing their finest spirits will also include American Born Moonshine, Buzzbox, Dulce Vida Tequila, KI NO BI Dry Gin, Krafted Spirits, Neustra Soledad Mezcal, Pomp & Whimsy, SelvaRey Rum, Ventura Spirits, Wild Roots Organic Vodka, Woodford Reserve, ZYR Russian Vodka and many more.
Non-Alcoholic Beverages: A variety of premium non-alcoholic Beverage Masters will also be on hand for those who wish to hydrate, caffeinate or regenerate, such as Boxed Water, Califia Farms Juices and Cold Brew Coffees, Dry Sparkling, East Imperial, Groundwork Coffee, Honeydrop Beverages, Humm Kombucha, Immordl energy elixirs, Matcha Matcha, Zico Coconut Water and more.
Sponsors: Masters of Taste 2019 is made possible through the generous support of our Sponsors, which include HomeStreet Bank, Judith L Chiara Foundation, US Bank, Western Asset Management, Kaiser Permanente, Capitol Group, Citizen’s Business Bank, Chase Bank, Westport Construction, App Dynamics, Pasadena Tournament of Roses, Clear Stream Media Group, Tsutayo Ichioka & Satsuki Nakao Foundation, HKG LLP, Wescom, California Linens and more.
100% of the proceeds from Masters of Taste 2019 will directly benefit Union Station Homeless Services, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to helping homeless men, women and children rebuild their lives. Union Station is part of a premier group of human services agencies in L.A. County that are leading the way to end homelessness in our community. Union Station offers an array of services including street outreach, meals, shelter, housing, case management and career development. In the last three years Masters of Taste has raised over $1.5 Million in support of Union Station’s life-saving programs.
Eve Bushman has a Level Two Intermediate Certification from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), a “certification in first globally-recognized course” as an American Wine Specialist ® from the North American Sommelier Association (NASA), Level 1 Sake Award from WSET, was the subject of a 60-minute Wine Immersion video (over 16k views), authored “Wine Etiquette for Everyone” and has served as a judge for the Long Beach Grand Cru and the Global Wine Awards. You can email Eve@EveWine101.com to ask a question about wine or spirits. You can also seek her marketing advice via Eve@EveBushmanConsulting.com