1. How did you start learnaboutwine.com?
Because I had insight teaching the trade, law (learn about wine) was originally in a blog format (pre-blog area) and just listed the does and dont’s of wine tasting.
2. Do you teach classes yourself?
Yes, I am the main teacher, but we often feature experts on Beer, Sake, Cooking, and other wine lifestyle interests.
3. One of my contributors, Denise Lowe, is one of your representatives…maybe even a “graduate”. Do you offer classes for people new to wine and “advance” them to be your reps if they want to?
Denise is a wonderful student, graduate, and example for what you can become in wine if you have the passion. Denise now teaches for us on a regular basis, and has a gift.
4. Are you just in LA or all over?
How about “ALL OVER LA”. We like diversity of location, environment and also helps us keep our audience broad and diverse.
5. Is the deal you’re currently offering Eve’s Wine 101 readers (see below dear readers.) something you do with local bloggers frequently or am I special? (Watch out on this answer!)
This event allows for special outreach. Honestly, I pick our best events to be most proud of and try to put those out to find new clients. This is probably the best example of our efforts, and a real treasure of a tasting.
6. Do you have to become a member to take classes or attend an event? (Or is there just a different rate for members?)
NO, membership is totally optional. Members have benefits, but not a requirement at all. We do have a few invites that are members only, and we have member discounts – but all our events have value in mind and we intend to continue to build our community.
7. I read that you have 26,000 members! What else is included in membership?
26,000 subscribers – only about 300 members. Members get special invites, first invites, special pricing and unique opportunities. Plus – we have about 40 restaurants in LA that give our members free corkage – that helps pay back the membership cost in a hurry.
8. Most Eve’s Wine 101 readers are in Santa Clarita. Where would your closest classes and events be held for them, San Fernando Valley?
We see many people at our tastings in Los Angeles from Santa Clarita…. Even Lancaster. We stay inside LA for now…. But may go outside into the Valley as we grow.
9. What, and where, is the “Learn About Wine Loft”?
LOFT218 is our classroom. A 2000 square foot studio in Downtown’s Arts District. Perfect venue for wine tasting – with a large 60 Plasma screen for video. We also have over 1000 wine glasses so we can host extensive tastings for audiences up to 58 guests.
10. Ever going to come to Santa Clarita for an event, or, visited here?
I know the market VERY well as I use to be in wine sales: Juan Alonso at Le Chene, All Corked Up, Mr. Lee at Lee’s Wine Bistro, the Hyatt and many others were my clients.