From the Go Dairy Free website I found an interesting meatloaf recipe that called for things like coconut milk, oats, grated ginger and toasted sesame oil so I decided to give it a try. The flavor was great, as was the Rose of Pinot Noir from Zotovich we paired it with. But there were a couple of things I would change, in italics below.
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I only bought 2 pounds as that’s how it comes, in 1 lb packaging. May have been the big oops that made my meatloaf too moist…as I failed to reduce anything else!)
- 3 tbsps toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup grated carrots, packed
- 1 cup natural potato flakes (health food stores) or old fashioned oats (No time to go to 2 markets, I bought oats and they were fine.)
- 1 cup coconut milk (lite ok) (Next time I will reduce by 1/2 if using only 2 lbs meat.)
- 1 bunch cilantro, all tough stems removed, minced (Hubby and daughter hate cilantro so I left it out.)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2-3 tbsps chili sauce (It was too spicy with 2 tbsps for my family, will use one next time.)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until just barely firm.
- Let the loaf rest just a few minutes before slicing. Delicious at room temperature as well.