Santa Rosa, Calif. – The cover feature for the November-December 2014 issue of Vineyard & Winery Management (V&WM) magazine, a bimonthly trade publication covering the North American wine industry, recognizes the “20 Most Admired Winemakers in North America.”
Last year the magazine featured admirable people from many different aspects of the wine industry. The 2014 list shines a spotlight on winemakers. “This isn’t necessarily about who makes the best wine, but about which winemakers are most esteemed by their colleagues and others in the industry,” said V&WM editor-in-chief Tina Caputo. “These are the pioneers, the innovators, the trend-buckers, the standard-setters and the leaders.”
The list was compiled by V&WM editors with the input of a nominating committee comprised of winemakers, grapegrowers, wine writers, educators, buyers, sommeliers and consultants throughout North America.
The 20 winemakers who came out on top reflect a wide range of wines, styles and regions. Some produce hundreds of thousands of cases each year; some make only a few thousand.
Because no individual person received significantly more votes than the others, V&WM chose to list the winners in alphabetical, rather than numerical, order.
The Top 20 Most Admired People in the North American Wine Industry include:
• Peter Bell, Fox Run Vineyards (New York)
• Bob Bertheau, Chateau Ste. Michelle (Washington)
• Cathy Corison, Corison Winery (California)
• Paul Draper, Ridge Vineyards (California)
• Merry Edwards, Merry Edwards Winery (California)
• Daryl Groom, Groom Wines (California)
• Josh Jensen, Calera Wine Co. (California)
• Jim Klein, Navarro Vineyards (California)
• Greg La Follette, La Follette Wines (California)
• Jim Law, Linden Vineyards (Virginia)
• Ted Lemon, Littorai Wines (California)
• Dennis Martin, Fetzer Vineyards (California)
• Luca Paschina, Barboursville Vineyards (Virginia)
• Joel Peterson, Ravenswood Winery (California)
• David Ramey, Ramey Wine Cellars (California)
• Johannes Reinhardt, Anthony Road Wine Co. and Kemmeter Wines (New York)
• Rollin Soles, Argyle Winery / ROCO (Oregon)
• Wendy Stuckey, White Wine Maker, Chateau Ste. Michelle (Washington)
• Margo Van Staaveren, Chateau St. Jean (California)
• John Williams, Frog’s Leap Winery (California)
To read the full story, including profiles of the award winners, visit web link: http://www.vwmmedia.com/magazine/current_issue.asp
About Vineyard & Winery Management
Based in Santa Rosa, Calif., Vineyard & Winery Management is a family owned multimedia company that produces wine industry trade publications, conferences, trade shows and wine competitions. The company publishes Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, which has the highest circulation of any North American wine trade publication. V&WM’s conferences and trade shows include Craft Beverages Unlimited, and the Midwest Grape and Wine + Craft Brew Conference. Its wine competitions include the International Wine Channel TV Awards, The Press Democrat North Coast Wine Challenge, Grand Harvest Awards, East Meets West, and the International Women’s Wine Competition. See vwmmedia.com for more information.