Wow, yes, you would be right if you guessed that the second annual Masters of Taste could be better than the first! Why? Well, besides the Culinary Masters, Sweet Masters and Beverage Masters – the energy was incredibly “palatable”. Especially when the sky opened up for a few minutes, threatening to “dampen” the fun…and instead umbrellas, raincoats, hoodies…and a few shirts popped up. No. One. Ran. For. Cover.
Kudos to Lawrence Moore and Associates for producing such a fine event – that benefits the Union Station Homeless Services.
My favorites from the day can be seen in the three photo grids on Instagram under https://www.instagram.com/evewine101evebushmanconsult/
In our Photo Grid 1 of 3 at @MastersofTaste benefitting @USHSnews find @mhhollywood @woodfordreserve @killershrimpatthemermaid @dulcevidatequila @thevenicewhaler @ClaudandCo @CelestinoRistorante @MagHousePasadena #mastersoftaste
In our Photo Grid 2 of 3 at @MastersofTaste benefitting @USHSnews find @BoxedWater @hokepoke @buzzboxcocktails @bonekettle @SprinklesCupcakes @immordl @bellybomz @101cider #Chef Larry Monaco at @castsantamonica #mastersoftaste
In our Photo Grid 3 of 3 at @MastersofTaste benefitting @USHSnews find @heladospops @pompwhimsy @CafeDulceLA @MiroDTLA @HacheLosAngeles @AmericanBornMoonshine @True_Food_Kitchen @Vinasympatica #mastersoftaste
Of special mention to me was not only seeing chefs I knew but also some old friends. It didn’t hurt that I was focused on the cocktails and made new friends too: 101 Cider House (hard ciders), Pomp and Whimsy (Gin Liqueur, made a perfect shade of pink due to the raspberries in the recipe), Zyr Vodka (many awards), Dry Sparkling (Lavender sample was refreshing), BuzzBox Premium Cocktails (that came in a long-lasting 4-pack) and Dulce Vida Tequila (two flavors).
Culinary Masters and Restaurants (at press time)
- 118 Degrees Chef Jenny Ross (Tarzana)
- Alexander’s Steakhouse Chef Matt Bata (Pasadena)
- Bacchus Kitchen & Eatery and Claude & Co. Chef Claud Beltran (Pasadena)
- Bone Kettle and Komodo Chef Erwin Tjahyadi (Pasadena and Los Angeles)
- CAST at the Viceroy Santa Monica Chef Larry Monaco (Santa Monica)
- Celestino Chef Calogero Drago (Pasadena)
- Church & State and Spring Chef Tony Esnault (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Crossings Chef Lalo Sanchez (South Pasadena)
- HACHÉ LA Chef Michael “Mick” Schepers (Silver Lake)
- HokePoke Chef Lauren Haas (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Hamasaku Chef Yoya Takahashi (Los Angeles)
- Hyperion Public Chef Paddy Aubrey (Silver Lake and Studio City)
- INTRO Art Gallery & Chef’s Table Chef Paul Shoemaker (North Hollywood)
- Little Beast Chef Jose Perez (Eagle Rock)
- Magnolia House Chef Evan Colter (Pasadena)
- Mama Lion Chef Michael Hung (Koreatown)
- Mexikosher Chef Katsuji Tanabi (Los Angeles)
- Milk & Honey Chef Lulu Cai (Hollywood)
- Miro Chef Gavin Mills (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Momed Chef Alex Sarkissian (Beverly Hills and Atwater Village)
- Nerano Chef Michele Lisi (Beverly Hills)
- Prince of Venice
- Ramen Tatsunoya (Pasadena)
- SpireWorks Chef Kuniko Yagi (Westwood Village and Eagle Rock)
- Redbird Chef Neal Fraser (Downtown Los Angeles)
- The Raymond 1886 Chef Tim Guiltinan (Pasadena)
- True Food Kitchen Chef Phil Noresetter (Pasadena)
- Venice Whaler Chef Nick Liberato (Venice)
Sweet Masters: Gourmet single-origin chocolate and vanilla ice creams from Choctal, homemade premium sorbets from Helados Pops, the finest globally-procured cacao from Chocolate Stars USA, and much more from Café Dulce, Icy Rush, Lark Cake Shop, Magpies Softserve, Mignon Chocolate, Nothing Bundt Cakes, Sprinkles, Street Churros and The Dirty Cookie.
Brewmasters: Southern California favorites Bootlegger’s Brewery, Indie Brewing Company, Iron triangle Brewing, MacLeod Ale Brewing Co., Three Weavers Brewing Company and 101 Cider House.
Wineries: Ascension Cellars, Antelope Valley’s Golden Star Vineyards, Jardesca, St. Helena’s Hall Wines, Anderson Valley’s Navarro Vineyards, San Antonio Winery in Downtown Los Angeles, Santa Barbara County’s Tercero Wines, Napa Valley’s Trinchero Family Estates and Vinemark Cellars.
Bars & Spirits: Peter Lloyd-Jones and 1886 Bar, Garrett McKechnie of Downtown L.A.’s Bar Mattachine and Bar Manager Bethany Ham of the newly opened 1950s inspired hidden cocktail den Birds & Bees. Top brands showcasing their finest spirits will also include American Born Moonshine, Dulce Vida Tequila, Mezcal El Silencio, Glenlevit, Kikori Whiskey, Martell Blue Swift and ZYR Russian Vodka.
Non-Alcoholic Beverages: The “bevolutionary” Bai who will be presenting their antioxidant juices, teas and water infusions, Boxed Water, Califia Farms Juices and Cold Brew Coffees, Dry Sparkling, Kombucha Dog, Milk+T, cold-pressed juices from Nekter Juice Bar, Philz hand roasted customized blended Coffee, and all natural, refreshing beverages from Zico Coconut Water.
Eve Bushman has a Level Two Intermediate Certification from the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), a “certification in first globally-recognized course” as an American Wine Specialist ® from the North American Sommelier Association (NASA), Level 1 Sake Award from WSET, was the subject of a 60-minute Wine Immersion video, authored “Wine Etiquette for Everyone” and has served as a judge for the Long Beach Grand Cru. You can email Eve@EveWine101.com to ask a question about wine or spirits. You can also seek her marketing advice via Eve@EveBushmanConsulting.com